In this guide we’ll look at the best flushable cat litters for the US market.
We’ve compared materials, scent, texture and cost
to give you our top recommendations.
What is the Best Flushable Cat Litter?
More Detailed Flushable Cat Litter Reviews
Pioneer Pet SmartCat All Natural Flushable Cat Litter Review
The Pioneer Pet SmartCat All Natural Flushable Cat Litter is our pick for the world’s best flushable cat litter. It’s made entirely from grass and has a clumping texture that makes for very easy cleaning.
Unlike the clay litters we’ve tried, this awesome flushable litter doesn’t produce any dust, has no added fragrance, and has a very lightweight texture that’s similar to sand. The amazing all-natural composition of this product means it’s completely biodegradable. We’ve found the Pioneer Pet SmartCat All Natural Flushable Cat Litter to be the best flushable cat litter on the market.
- This litter is very lightweight, which makes it flushable and easy to empty.
- It is very low in dust, so it’s not irritating for you or your cats.
- This litter clumps well, making for easy cleaning that leaves minimal residue behind.
- Because of this litter’s lightweight texture, it tracks throughout the house easily.
- Since this litter is unscented, odors can start to develop quickly.
- This litter may not be suitable for two-cat households.
Sustainably Yours Natural Flushable Cat Litter Review
The Sustainably Yours Natural Flushable Cat Litter is not only flushable and easy to clean, but it’s also good for the environment. It is made with completely renewable ingredients, notably corn and cassava.
This incredible formula doesn’t contain any chemicals or added fragrances, and it doesn’t produce dust. We also love that it’s light in color so you can easily see what needs to be cleaned in the litter box. The Sustainably Yours Natural Flushable Cat Litter is an excellent flushable option for any kitty, and it’s also the best corn-based flushable option.
- This litter clumps very tightly, making it easy to scoop and flush.
- This litter has a very fine texture, which makes it more comfortable for your cat to walk on.
- It is made from sustainable materials and is better for the environment than traditional clay litters.
- Because of its fine texture, this litter tracks easily.
- This litter is unscented and odors can build up over time if it isn’t changed regularly.
- Some owners noticed an initial odor when opening the bag. The odor generally faded over time.
Purina Yesterday's News Paper Cat Litter Review
The Purina Yesterday’s News Paper Cat Litter is a high-quality litter that’s safe and flushable. It’s made with highly absorbent paper pellets that are soft and comfortable for your cat to step in. The pellets are made from paper that’s already been recycled, so it’s an environmentally friendly choice for cat litter.
Since the litter is made with pellets and not small grains, we’ve found that it doesn’t track around the house as much as other formulas. It has no added chemicals or fragrances, but because the pellets are extremely absorbent, it still traps odors. The Purina Yesterday’s News Paper Cat Litter is a choice your cat will love, and it’s also the best paper flushable litter.
- This litter is very long-lasting. Although it is unscented, it doesn’t build up odors.
- The small paper pellets don’t track as much as other litters.
- Since the litter is made with paper, it has a soft texture that is easy on your cat’s paws.
- It has a dark color, which can make scooping a bit more challenging.
- Some cats may not like this litter because it has a different texture than many other types of litter.
Garfield Cat Litter All Natural Flushable Cat Litter Review
The Garfield Cat Litter All Natural Flushable Cat Litter is a safe and renewable litter option made from cassava and corn, two environmentally friendly materials. We love how effectively this litter clumps, which makes it super easy to flush. It has an extremely fine texture that’s comfortable for your cat to use and also won’t create any added dust.
This litter is particularly good if anyone in your household struggles with a weak respiratory system, because this litter won’t add any irritation. Since the litter is white, it’s very easy to see what needs to be cleaned. The Garfield All Natural Flushable Cat Litter is an awesome sustainable way to keep your house clean, and ti’s also the best clumping flushable cat litter.
- This litter clumps very easily, making it easy to scoop and flush.
- It lasts for a very long time, which helps to minimize waste.
- Despite its lack of fragrance, this litter controls odor fairly well.
- Because of this litter’s fine texture, it tracks very easily and can be messy.
- It is quite heavy, which can make it challenging to fill and empty the litter box.
- The texture of the litter means that it can get stuck in your cat’s fur.
Weruva Hinoki Wood & Green Tea Natural Cat Litter Review
The Weruva Hinoki Wood & Green Tea Natural Cat Litter is an excellent flushable option that’s made from wood pellets. This litter has a fresh green tea smell to combat odors, but is completely natural and hypoallergenic to prevent irritation.
The small pellets are extremely absorbent and clump together for easy cleanup. It also doesn’t create any dust that could be uncomfortable for you or your cat. The Weruva Hinoki Wood & Green Tea Natural Cat Litter is the top scented flushable cat litter, and it’s one both you and your cat will love.
- This cat litter has a very pleasant smell and manages odors well.
- It is very low in dust, which makes it more comfortable for both you and your cat.
- The texture of this litter helps minimize tracking around the house.
- This litter doesn’t clump as tightly as some other options.
- Cats who are picky about textures may not like this litter.
- Because of the shape of the pellets, this may not work with all litter scoops.
Cat Litter FAQs
What is flushable cat litter?
Flushable cat litter is designed to be flushed down the toilet after use, instead of thrown away. Flushable cat litters are made from materials that are fully biodegradable and will break down naturally in the sewage. Unlike traditional litters, they also won’t clog your home’s plumbing. This is because flushable litters don’t expand or change texture when they come into contact with water. There are many advantages to using a flushable litter. In addition to being very convenient, they are also usually much better for the environment.
What types of cat litter are flushable?
Not all types of cat litter are flushable. It’s very important to make sure that your litter is safe to put in the toilet before doing so – otherwise you may end up needing to call the plumber! Here are the types of cat litter that are reliably flushable.
- Corn and cassava: These two biodegradable materials are often used together to create flushable cat litters. It’s extremely renewable, so it’s great for the planet. It also clumps very effectively.
- Wheat: Wheat litters are similar to corn litter in that they are renewable and very absorbent. They also are excellent for neutralizing odors.
- Paper: There are also many biodegradable litters that are made from recycled paper, which is great for the environment. Paper litters are great for kitties that may have sensitive paws, and they also don’t track throughout the house. However, this type of litter doesn’t clump, because it is made into larger pellets.
- Wood: Wood litters are usually made with sawdust and can be very absorbent. They also usually have a fresh scent.
Each of these types of litter are flushable because they are completely biodegradable. You should never put clay or silica litter in the toilet. These types of litter do not break down effectively and won’t flush properly either.
Flushable cat litter makes for very convenient cleanup of your cat’s litter box. In many cases, it’s also much more environmentally friendly than traditional cat litters. The Pioneer Pet SmartCat All Natural Flushable Cat Litter is our pick for the best flushable cat litter. We love how effectively this 100 percent grass formula clumps and protects against odor. It’s also completely biodegradable, so you can feel good about your environmental impact.