In this guide we’ll look at the best sifting litter boxes for the US market.
We’ve compared design, technology, ease of cleaning and cost
to give you our top recommendations.
What is the Best Sifting Litter Box?
More Detailed Sifting Litter Box Reviews
ScoopFree Ultra Sifting Litter Box Review
The ScoopFree Ultra Sifting Litter Box is our pick for the top sifting cat litter box on the market. It’s designed to work with PetSafe’s amazing crystal litter, which comes in pre-portioned packaging specifically for this litter box.
The trays on this litter box are disposable, which makes for very easy cleanup when you need to change out the litter, and they are lined to prevent leakage. This model also comes with a hood for even better odor control.
One of the things we love about this litter box is that it has a sensor to determine when your cat is in the box and automatically go through a cleaning cycle when they have finished. The ultra-detailed sifter goes through the box to remove any clumps and maintain odors. This extremely effective design is why the ScoopFree Ultra Sifting Litter Box is our pick for the best sifting litter box.
- The rake sweeps away solid waste to minimize odors until it’s time to clean.
- The box contains a sensor to ensure that the rake doesn’t run while your cat is inside.
- This box is very easy to assemble, and you won’t have to worry about pesky mechanical problems.
- If you have multiple cats, you may have to fully change the litter several times per month.
- This box only works with crystal litter, which can be more expensive than other types of litter.
- The design of the box is very large and bulky, so it may not be the best option for small spaces.
ScoopFree Sifting Litter Box Review
The ScoopFree Sifting Litter Box is another excellent sifting litter box for a cleaner home. This design uses PetSafe’s highly effective crystal litter with disposable trays for an incredibly easy cleanup. Each tray is lined to prevent leaks and comes with a lid to use when it is time to throw the tray away.
This amazing litter box has an automatic rake, so you won’t need to scoop your cat’s litter box at all between monthly litter changes. A sensor keeps track of how often your cat uses the box and keeps your kitty safe while they’re in there. The ScoopFree Sifting Litter Box is the best sifting litter box with disposable trays on the market.
- The rake system uses an automatic sensor to clean after your cat leaves the box. This keeps the box fresh and prevents safety issues.
- The rake traps solid waste to hide odors, which dramatically minimizes the amount of scooping you have to do.
- The rake on this litter box is very quiet, so it won’t disturb you or scare your cat.
- This box only works with crystal litter, which can be expensive and may not be every cat owner’s preference.
- The rake can occasionally get stuck on a large clump of litter or piece of waste, but this is easy to fix.
- If you have multiple cats, this litter box can require extra maintenance.
Tidy Cats Breeze XL Sifting Litter Box Review
The Tidy Cats Breeze XL Sifting Litter Box is a highly effective litter system that’s great for large cats or multiple cats. This large litter box gives your kitty plenty of room to move around comfortably as they do their business. High walls prevent your kitty from accidentally kicking litter outside of the box as well.
This box uses Purina’s innovative Breeze litter system, which separates liquids and solids by filtering out urine with absorbent pads. Solid waste is easy to clean with the included scoop. The Breeze litter pellets are non-clumping and are made with silica to prevent dust. With its larger size, the Tidy Cats Sifting Litter Box is the best extra-large sifting litter box on the market.
- This litter system uses absorbent pads to prevent urine odors and minimize the amount of cleaning you’ll need to do.
- The litter pellets used with the pads are gentle and dust-free.
- When it’s time to change the pads, it’s very easy to access them just by pulling out the bottom drawer.
- The refills for the pads and pellets can get expensive over time.
- As with most types of litter, the pellets can track around the house.
- Solid waste can stick to this type of box, so it still needs to be cleaned regularly.
SpeedySift Sifting Cat Litter Box Review
The SpeedySift Sifting Cat Litter Box has a very innovative design that works to prevent odors and make cleaning easier. This lightweight plastic sifter system goes over the box and has high walls to prevent litter from flying everywhere. The base pan comes with a set of litter liners with offset holes to catch dirty litter and filter clean litter back into the box.
This exciting litter system is very easy to clean – all you need to do is replace the litter liners. Since they’re layered, they prevent your cat from scratching all the way through. The SpeedySift Sifting Cat Litter Box is the best sifting litter box liner set out there.
- This sifting liner system works with the litter box you already have, so you won’t need to buy a new one.
- The multi-layered sifting liners mean that you don’t need to scoop and can easily clean just by removing and replacing the liners.
- The high walls of this sifting box keep litter in, even if your cat likes to kick or spray.
- Cats can tear through the plastic liners if they have particularly sharp nails, although this is rare.
- While this box works very well, the design is not very aesthetically pleasing.
- This system makes clean-up quick and easy, but it doesn’t do much to minimize odors.
Arm & Hammer Sifting Litter Box Review
The Arm & Hammer Sifting Litter Box system is a simple yet extremely effective way to keep your cat’s litter box clean and odor-free. It comes with a regular litter box as well as a sifter pan that sits on top. It’s anti-microbial to help keep things as clean and healthy as possible.
To clean, all you’ll need to do is lift the sifter box up, which catches solid waste and lets loose litter clumps fall to the bottom. In addition to being ultra-simple to use, the Arm & Hammer Sifting Litter Box is also our choice for best sifting litter box for pine pellets. This is because the holes are large enough to let the pellets fall through.
- The multi-tray sifting system makes it very easy to clean your cat’s box without having to scoop. It removes all of the clumps and solid waste in one movement.
- This box is very durable and uses an anti-microbial material to stay clean.
- This litter box works well with any type of litter, so you can choose the one that best suits you and your cat.
- This box is relatively small, so larger kitties may feel a bit cramped inside.
- The trays can be very heavy when they are full, which makes them difficult to lift.
- The sides of the box are relatively low, which means they may not catch loose litter if your cat likes to kick.
Things to Know Before Buying a Sifting Litter Box
A sifting litter box is a great investment for anyone who hates cleaning their cat’s litter box every day. A sifter takes most of the guesswork out of cleaning by filtering away solid waste. Here’s what to look for when searching for the best sifting cat litter box.
Different Designs To Consider
The design of the sifting litter box is a key factor to consider. Some sifting boxes have raking mechanisms that essentially do the scooping for you. Others have multi-layered systems that filter out clumps of litter, letting the clean litter fall through. Whichever design you choose, you’ll need to make sure it can clean your cat’s litter box efficiently.
It Must Be Easy To Use & Clean
A good sifting litter box also needs to be easy for your cat to use. It should have a large enough entrance that they can get inside comfortably. It also needs to be deep and wide enough inside that they can do their business without feeling too cramped.
You’re likely buying a sifting litter box because you want to make cleaning easier, so this is another key consideration to make. Ideally, you should be able to just pull out a liner and place it in the trash can.
Sifting Litter Box FAQ
How does a sifting cat litter box work?
There are many different types of sifting cat litter boxes available. The way they work varies depending on which type you get. Some of these litter boxes have electronic rakes that sift through waste automatically. Others have a multi-layered filter system that separates clean litter from dirty litter.
A sifting litter box is a great pet accessory for anyone with a busy lifestyle. Our pick for the best self sifting litter box is the ScoopFree Ultra Sifting Litter Box. The automatic cleaning sensors and disposable trays keep odors at bay and make maintenance incredibly easy.