In this guide we’ll look at the best top entry litter boxes for the US market.
We’ve compared design, materials, ease of use and cost
to give you our top recommendations.
What is the Best Top Entry Litter Box?
More Detailed Top Entry Litter Box Reviews
ScoopFree Top-Entry Ultra Automatic Cat Litter Box Review
The ScoopFree Top-Entry Ultra Automatic Cat Litter Box is our pick for the best top entry cat litter box. This litter box has an amazing self-cleaning system that uses crystal litter to absorb odors and stay clean for weeks at a time. It has a disposable tray at the base, which you can throw away and replace when it’s time for a new batch of litter.
It also uses a rake to move solid waste into a trap that controls odor. Sensors keep track of how often your cat uses the box. The hood on this box keeps litter and odors inside, and even has a grated texture to trap litter granules and prevent your cat from tracking them around the house. The ScoopFree Top-Entry Ultra Automatic Cat Litter Box uses incredible technology to keep the box clean with minimal effort from you, which is why it’s our pick for the best top entry litter box on the market.
- Since this box is self-cleaning, you will only need to manually empty it a few times a month.
- The top entry area is grated to prevent litter from tracking around the house.
- Sensors ensure that the automatic rake runs through the box directly after your cat uses it.
- Excess litter can get pushed into the waste area over time, which can be frustrating.
- This box might be too small for some large cat breeds, as the enclosed area is very tight.
- Odors can build up over time in between cleanings due to the way the waste is stored.
ModKat Top Entry Litter Box Review
The ModKat Top Entry Litter Box has a sophisticated modern design that contains odors and looks great too. It has a sleek exterior with rounded edges that comes in white, black, or grey. The lid has small holes to catch any litter that might fall off as your cat is walking away. When it’s time to empty the box, the lid swivels off.
The interior comes with reusable liners for easy cleaning. These highly durable liners last up to three months – we find they’re a great alternative to disposable versions. The box also comes with a litter scoop that you can hang on the side. The ModKat Top Entry Litter Box is an amazing option that combines fashion and function, and it’s the best high-end top entry litter box on the market.
- This box has a very compact design that works well in small apartments.
- The top entry panel catches loose litter to prevent it from tracking around your home.
- It has a feature on the side specifically to hold the scoop.
- The reusable liner on the inside of the box is difficult to clean and can tear over time.
- The slats on the scoop are fairly wide, which means that some waste clumps can fall through the cracks.
- This box has a relatively small design that might be too compact for larger cat breeds.
IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box Review
This IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box is a very stylish top entry litter box that looks great anywhere in your home. It has a round design, which makes it easy to clean and prevents litter granules from getting stuck in corners.
The box has a large round entry that cats of all sizes can comfortably fit in, and the lid has grooves to catch any loose litter. The base has grips to prevent the box from sliding around.
This model comes in several different color combinations, including black, grey, orange, pink, and white. The IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box is our pick for those who want a fashion-foward design.
- This litter box is very effective at minimizing cat odors.
- This box has ridges on the top that catch loose litter and prevent your cat from tracking it around the house.
- The inside of the box has rounded edges, which prevents clumps of litter from getting stuck inside.
- Some users noted that the lid on the top of their box didn’t fit in super tightly.
- This litter box is fairly tall, so some cats may feel hesitant to jump in at first.
- The box can get very heavy when it is completely full, which can make it difficult to clean.
ATDAWN Top Entry Cat Litter Box Review
The ATDAWN Top Entry Cat Litter Box is a reliable and well-made litter box that’s easy to keep clean. It has the option for both top or front entry, so your cat will have a comfortable experience going to the bathroom.
This amazing litter box has rounded edges, which makes it easy to clean. It also has very small holes on the lid to catch excess litter. The ATDAWN Top Entry Cat Litter Box is an excellent litter box that’s a great choice for large cats.
- This box is very tall, making it a good choice for larger cat breeds.
- Your cat has the option to enter the box from either the front or the top, giving them more options.
- The top of the box has holes to collect loose litter and prevent tracking.
- Some owners found that the lid of this litter box wasn’t particularly stable.
- Liquid waste can collect on the inside rim of the box at times.
- This litter box provides very limited odor control.
Clevercat Top Entry Litter Box Review
The Clevercat Top Entry Litter Box is a durable and secure litter box that’s easy to keep clean. It has rounded edges and a large entry hole, so your cat will be able to use it comfortably. The lid has grooves to catch any loose litter, and detaches for easy cleaning.
It’s compatible with litter box liners as well. The Clevercat Top Entry Litter Box is an awesome litter box option for any cat, and it’s our pick for the best affordable top entry box.
- This top entry litter box is easy for cats to climb in and out of.
- It can be used with or without a liner to suit your cleaning preferences and prevent leaking.
- This litter box is designed to catch loose litter and prevent it from spilling or tracking.
- The hole on the top is relatively large in proportion to the size of the box.
- The litter box is lightweight and can tip over if your cat jumps on it from the right angle.
- The ridges on the top of the box can be difficult to clean.
Things to Know Before Buying a Top Entry Cat Litter Box
There are many features to look at when choosing the best top entry litter box for your pet. Since they’ll be using it every day, you’ll want to ensure that it’s comfortable for them and easy for you to clean.
Here’s what to consider when purchasing a top entry litter box.
The Right Design
The design of the litter box is absolutely key. You’ll want to make sure that the entrance is large enough for your cat to get in and out of, especially if you have a larger cat breed like a Maine Coon. Another key feature to look for is a grooved texture on the top of the box, which can trap pieces of litter and keep them from tracking all over the house. Consider the way the box looks as well. Many top entry litter boxes have appealing designs that can look nice in many different areas of your home.
Easy to Clean
Another factor to look at is how easy the box is to clean. Look for one that has rounded edges, so that litter won’t get stuck in the corners. Many top entry litter boxes even have self cleaning systems, or have interior litter trays that are very easy to empty and refill. You’ll also want to make sure that the lid can easily be detached when you do need to clean.
Cat Litter Box FAQ
What is a top entry litter box and how does it work?
A top entry litter box is a covered litter box that has an entry on the top for your cat. They’ll do their business inside the box, and then jump back on the lid of the box, where they can shake off any excess litter.
Why use a top entry litter box?
There are many benefits to using a top entry litter box. The partially enclosed box can minimize odors, and they also prevent your cat from tracking or spilling litter outside of the box. Additionally, many top entry litter boxes are very easy to clean, because they have removable trays.
How can I transition my cat to a top entry litter box?
If your cat hasn’t used a top entry litter box before, they may be a bit confused. Make sure to place the new litter box in the same spot as your old one. Use the same type of litter, and you may even want to take a clump of used litter and place it inside. This scent will indicate to your cat that it’s a safe place for them to go.
Top entry litter boxes are a great way to keep mess to a minimum and keep your cat happy. We love the ScoopFree Top-Entry Ultra Automatic Cat Litter Box. It’s our top pick because it’s easy to keep clean with minimal effort and prevents tracking around the house. The high tech design means you’ll spend less time cleaning and more time having fun with your pet.