In this guide I’ll look at the best catnips for the US market.
I’ve compared ingredients, effectiveness, catnip quality and cost
to give you my top recommendations.
What is the Best Catnip?
More Detailed Catnip Reviews
Yeowww! Organic Catnip Review
My recommendation for the best catnip for cats is the Yeowww! Organic Catnip. It’s a great choice that’s sure to get your cat up and running. This brand is known for their fun catnip toys, but you can also buy their highly sought after formula in loose tubs.
I think this is a great option if you have multiple cats or just want plenty of catnip on hand for playtime!
This catnip formula is very highly scented to draw out a reaction from your cat. It comes in a secure plastic tub to seal in the scent – keeping things nice and fresh for your kitty.
One of the best ways to use this catnip is to put it in an old sock or other soft containers for your kitty to play with.
Overall, the Yeowww! Organic Catnip is my top pick and my cat just loves it!
- This catnip is very easy to put into toys or sprinkle on its own.
- Many owners like the fact that this catnip contains relatively small pieces, so they feel confident knowing their cat won’t choke on them.
- This catnip is quite potent, and many cat owners find that it works even on cats who are normally immune to catnip.
- Since this is a loose catnip, some owners found that it can get messy very quickly.
- Some owners found that the consistency of this catnip can vary between batches.
- The plastic tub is not completely air-tight, which can affect the freshness of the catnip in some cases.
munchiecat Organic Catnip with Silvervine Review
The Munchiecat Organic Catnip blends catnip with silver vine, an Asian herb that can also serve as a stimulant for cats. This is the best catnip for cats who don’t react well to a single-herb formula. Some cats react more to silver vine than catnip and vice versa, so I recommend giving this blended formula a try to maximize your chances of getting a reaction from your cat.
Munchiecat’s catnip is organic and grown in the United States. It’s completely safe and non-toxic, and is full of essential oils to keep the catnip potent.
This awesome catnip also has a soft crumbled texture, without any large chunks that could be dangerous for your cat. I recommend putting this loose catnip into a soft toy for an extra fun playtime.
My cat loves the mixed formula Munchiecat Organic Catnip – give it a try and see how it boosts your cat’s playtime!
- Because this catnip contains silver vine, many owners find that it works on cats who are not normally receptive to catnip.
- Since this formula is organic, many owners feel more confident giving this catnip to their pets.
- This catnip has a soft, even texture. This makes it safe for your cat to play with on its own, and it’s also easy to put into their toys.
- As with most catnip products, this one is not going to be effective on every cat.
- Some owners complained that this formula didn’t cause a different reaction than typical catnip, but it comes with a higher price tag.
- Some users found that the texture on this catnip was too powdery, making it difficult to spread evenly.
Hartz Just For Cats Pure Catnip Review
Hartz Just For Cats Pure Catnip is another firm favorite for giving kitties a boost. Although this brand is known for their cat toys, you can also purchase the catnip on its own.
The highly effective formula is made with 100% all-natural catnip that has been dried up, which makes it easy to sprinkle on your cat’s scratching posts or other toys. You can also put this catnip into your cat’s toys for an active playtime.
This catnip comes in a 1 ounce resealable bag, and is completely natural and non-toxic to cats.
The Hartz Just For Cats Catnip is my favorite choice for those who want a 100% natural catnip formula.
- This catnip works very well in a variety of cat toys. The Hartz brand sells a variety of pre-made toys, but you can also put this catnip into other toys.
- The formula is fully organic and natural, without any additives that could be irritating to your cat.
- Many owners found that this catnip is very potent and has a strong smell that’s very attractive to cats.
- Some owners found that their cats didn’t react to this formula and didn’t think it was particularly potent.
- This formula can sometimes contain small stems, which cats may not enjoy as much as a smooth texture.
- This catnip does not come in an airtight jar, and some owners recommend you transfer it to an airtight container as quickly as possible to avoid it going stale.
OurPets Cosmic Catnip Review
The OurPets Cosmic Catnip is known for its strong fragrance, which attracts cats and generates a strong reaction from them. This amazingly potent formula is natural, organic, and grown in North America.
This catnip is available in small sealed bags or larger jars, depending on your preference. It has a dried texture and is designed to be very strong, so even a small amount can make your cat more energetic and playful. I recommend starting your cat with just a tiny amount, and testing their reaction first.
The OurPets Cosmic Catnip offers the most potent formula of all the catnips on my list, and is a great choice for any cat – especially those who don’t typically react to catnip.
- Many users have found that this catnip is extremely potent, and you only need a small amount to get a reaction from your cat in some cases.
- Some owners feel more comfortable knowing that this catnip is grown and packaged in North America.
- Owners found that this catnip comes very fresh and with a strong aroma.
- This catnip is available in several different sizes. However, some people have found that the larger jars do not come with airtight seals.
- Some people have found that the texture of this catnip is very dusty, which can make it a bit messy.
- Some owners have reported large stems in their batches, which they need to filter out before giving to their cats.
Things to Know Before Buying Catnip
Not all catnips are created equal, and you’ll want to make sure that the one you choose is both safe and plenty of fun for your kitty. Here’s what to consider when shopping for your furry friend’s catnip.
The Importance of Quality Ingredients
Catnip is an herb that grows naturally and contains a stimulant called nepetalactone, which can cause your cat to act more energetic or downright goofy. Some catnip brands will add other herbs or fillers to the mix.
For the best experience, you’ll want to look for a formula that has a high concentration of catnip, without any fillers that could minimize the stimulating effect.
Organic vs. Non-Organic
You’ll also want to make sure that your catnip is organic and that it’s completely safe for your cat.
Catnip should not contain any preservatives or other synthetic ingredients that could be toxic to your cat. Look for the certified organic logo on the catnip’s packaging.
What is catnip and how does it work?
Catnip is a naturally occurring herb that has a strong stimulating effect on cats. Cats will roll around in the catnip to release the herb’s oils, which strengthen this effect and can even give your cat a ‘high’.
What is catnip made of?
The catnip you purchase in a bag is a ground-down version of the herb, which is part of the mint family. The best catnip blends will remove stems and other large chunks of the herb, which can be dangerous for cats.
What does catnip do to cats and why do they love it?
The active nepetalactone in catnip acts as a unique stimulant that affects certain receptors in your cat’s brain. This can trigger some very interesting behavior in your pet!
Every cat reacts differently to catnip – some cats will go wild and run all over the house, while others will become very relaxed and roll around on the floor.
Catnip is a great way to add some fun into your cat’s daily routine. Whether it gives them a boost of energy or helps them relax, it’s sure to be a fun and entertaining experience for both of you. The Yeowww! Cat Catnip is my choice for best catnip as your cat will love it’s safe, organic, and highly scented formula!