In this guide we’ll look at the best slow feeders for cats on the US market.
We’ve compared design, ease of use, fun for your cat and cost
to give you our top recommendations.
What is the Best Slow Feeder for Cats?
More Detailed Cat Slow Feeder Reviews
Pioneer Pet SmartCat Slow Feeder Review
Our recommendation for the best slow cat feeder is the Pioneer Pet Smart Cat Slow Feeder. We love how stimulating this feeder is for your kitty – they’ll need to pull the food out from holes on the side of the dish, which makes for a fun puzzle.
This amazing dish has a funnel on the top to distribute food into the feeder evenly. This excellent feeder comes in white, clear, or black colors that will look chic in your kitchen. It is also constructed from a durable plastic that is easy to clean. The Pioneer Pet Smart Cat Slow Feeder is our top pick to help your cat slow down and stay healthy.
- The bowl is quite large, so you can fill it up with enough food to keep your cat entertained for the whole day.
- Because this dish is ceramic, it’s very durable and easy to clean in the dishwasher.
- It’s very easy to load the food into the bowl when it’s time to refill.
- Since this feeder is quite tricky for cats to eat out of, some cats may not understand and give up.
- Alternatively, some owners with particularly smart cats noted that their pets figured out how to eat the food too quickly.
- The bowl can slide around as your cat plays with it and tries to get the food out.
All for Paws Interactive Puzzle Slow Feeder Review
The All For Paws Interactive Slow Puzzle Feeder provides multiple challenges to keep your pet stimulated and excited. It has a maze design with clear barriers, so your cat has to search for pieces of food.
We love that you can customize it to challenge your pet and give them something new to enjoy. We recommend starting with the first level maze and working your way up through levels two and three as your cat gets more comfortable with it.
This well-designed feeder also has rubber grips on the bottom to prevent slippage. The All For Paws Interactive Slow Puzzle Feeder is our winner among maze design feeders.
- You can customize the puzzle based on your cat’s needs, so you can keep your cat on their toes once they start to figure it out.
- Because of its wider size, multiple cats can play at the same time if necessary.
- The feeder is made with durable, high quality materials.
- The small white pieces within the maze can come unstuck if your cat is feeling particularly determined.
- Pieces can sometimes get stuck in the corner of the feeder when your cat is playing.
- The base can be slippery, so it’s possible for cats to move the feeder around while using the feeder.
Ito Rocky Interactive Dog & Cat Food Puzzle Review
The Ito Rocky Interactive Dog & Cat Food Puzzle offers not one, but two puzzle challenges to slow down even the most voracious eaters. Your cat will start by turning a rotating feeder at the top, which will then drop pieces of food onto an open maze. Then, your cat will need to dig the pieces of food out.
We love how unique this design is. This top-notch cat feeder is made from durable and non-toxic plastics that you can trust. The Ito Rocky Interactive Dog & Cat Food Puzzle is our pick for the best rotating slow feeder out there.
- This puzzle has a weighted base, so you don’t have to worry about your cat knocking it over too easily.
- The feeder is challenging enough to slow your cat down, but not so challenging that they will give up on the puzzle.
- It is very easy to put together quickly, and you can adjust the height to match your cat’s size.
- Not every type of cat food will work with this puzzle because of the size of the holes.
- The spinning mechanism of the puzzle get messy when kibble starts to fall out.
- The feeder can be difficult to fill up and empty because the holes are relatively small.
Lorde Slow Feeder Cat Bowl Review
The Lorde Slow Feeder Cat Bowl has a simple but engaging design that will prevent your cat from eating too fast. It has unique fish-shaped ridges to distribute the food, which forces your furry friend to eat more slowly.
One of the things that makes this dish stand out for us is the ceramic design. This well-constructed dish is weighty, so your cat can’t move it around too easily. It is also non-toxic and microwave safe. The Lorde Slow Feeder Cat Bowl is our favorite microwave safe option for slow feeders.
- This cat bowl is very easy to clean and can be put in the dishwasher.
- This bowl is easy for cats to figure out how to use, but still slows them down while eating because of its unique texture.
- It is made from a durable, high quality ceramic material that won’t wear down over time.
- This bowl is very heavy because it is made from ceramic, so it’s important to be careful while handling it.
- The raised texture of this bowl could be uncomfortable for some cats, and it may take some time for your cat to find the right angle.
- This feeder is very large and may be too big for some smaller cat breeds.
Catit Senses 2.0 Digger Interactive Slow Feeder Review
The Catit Senses 2.0 Digger Interactive Slow Feeder uses tubes to slow your cat down, forcing them to dig for their food. We love that each of the tubes have different sizes and depths, creating a more engaging puzzle for your cat.
This excellent slow feeder is very easy to clean, and is made from BPA free plastic that is completely safe for your cat. The dish has a rubber mat attached to the bottom to prevent slipping. If you’re looking for a feeder that is easy to clean, the Catit Senses 2.0 Digger is our pick.
- Many owners reported that this puzzle was very interesting for their cats and was also very effective in slowing them down.
- The feeder comes with a skid mat, so it won’t slide around the floor as your cat eats.
- It’s very easy to add feed to the feeder when it’s time to refill.
- This feeder can be tricky to put together, as it does not come with instructions.
- Some users reported that their cats pulled the cups out of the tray, spilling food outside of the feeder.
- Some owners noted that their cats would try to stick their faces in the tubes.
Things To Know Before Buying a Cat Slow Feeder
If your cat has a tendency to eat too fast, you know that it can cause digestive issues and other health problems. Slow feeders are a truly effective way to fix this problem.
Slow feeders turn dinnertime into a puzzle, so your cat has to work to get the food out. This stimulates their natural hunting instincts while ensuring they eat at a healthy pace.
Here’s what to look for when choosing the best slow feeder for your cat.
What Design To Look Out For
One of the biggest considerations is the design of the cat feeder. The feeder should be an effective feeder that actually slows your cat down while they are eating. It should be challenging enough that your cat has to find and eat pieces individually, instead of inhaling all of the food at once.
It should also be made from durable materials that are safe for your cat, like BPA free plastic or ceramic.
Some Slow Feeders Include Interactive Puzzles
Slow feeders offer more than just an effective way to prevent overeating – they also provide stimulation for your cat, which is good for their mental health overall.
The best cat slow feeder options have puzzles that will continuously challenge your cat in a fun and exciting way. Some fun puzzle options are mazes or small holes that require your cat to dig.
It Should Be Easy To Clean
A good slow feeder should also be very easy to clean. It should have smooth surfaces that are easy to wipe down, without too many small cracks or crevices. You don’t want to worry about food getting stuck in crevices, or having to scrub down the cat bowl to remove excess build-up.
Cat Slow Feeders FAQ
What is a slow feeder and how does it work?
Slow feeders use puzzles to force your cat to slow down while they are eating. These puzzles differ between products, but generally your cat will need to pull food out from a partially enclosed area.
What are the benefits of using a slow feeder?
When your cat eats too quickly, it can be rough on their digestive system. A slow feeder forces them to take smaller bites and spend more time between them, so they can digest more effectively. A slow feeder is also very stimulating for your cat – it challenges them mentally to keep them engaged.
Slow feeders are a great way to keep your cat engaged and stimulated while also helping them slow down while they eat. Our top pick is the Pioneer Pet Smart Cat Slow Feeder – we love the way it challenges your cat to ‘hunt’ for their food.