In this guide we’ll look at the best cat toothpastes for the US market.
We’ve compared ingredients, dental benefits, ease of use and cost
to give you our top recommendations.
What is the Best Cat Toothpaste?
More Detailed Cat Toothpaste Reviews
Virbac CET Enzymatic Cat Toothpaste Review
The Virbac CET Enzymatic Cat Toothpaste is our pick for the best cat toothpaste on the market. This incredible toothpaste has an enzymatic formula, which means that it breaks down bacteria to help prevent ongoing dental problems. It doesn’t contain any foaming agents or other ingredients that could potentially be harmful to your cat’s health.
This toothpaste is available in beef or poultry flavors to appeal to your cat, or you can opt for the vanilla mint flavor for truly fresh breath. The Virbac CET Enzymatic Cat Toothpaste breaks down plaque quickly for healthier teeth, and it’s our pick for the best cat toothpaste on the market.
- This toothpaste has a flavor that is very appealing for cats, making it easier to brush their teeth.
- This formula helps to minimize bad breath in cats and can prevent plaque from building up over time as well.
- Since this toothpaste doesn’t contain any foaming agents, your cat can swallow it safely.
- The packaging on this toothpaste is delicate and can get damaged quite easily.
- This toothpaste does not come with a safety seal, which may be a concern to some owners.
- Because the flavor of this toothpaste is so appealing to cats, some may want to eat it even when they aren’t having their teeth brushed.
Petsmile Professional Cat Toothpaste Review
The Petsmile Professional Cat Toothpaste is a high-quality toothpaste that has been certified by the Veterinary Oral Health Council. What we love about this toothpaste is that it contains calcium peroxide and other minerals, so it actually fortifies your cat’s teeth while removing plaque buildup.
This amazing formula has a rotisserie chicken flavor, but doesn’t contain any animal byproducts. It also doesn’t contain any dangerous parabens, sulfates, or silica. Pet Smile also makes applicator swabs which make it easier to brush your cat’s teeth. The Petsmile Professional Cat Toothpaste is the best fortified cat toothpaste option, and it’s amazing for giving your cat a healthy smile.
- This toothpaste contains an ingredient called Calprox, which helps prevent plaque and bacteria from building up in the mouth.
- The formula has a rotisserie chicken flavor that is very appealing to cats.
- The toothpaste is made in the United States and has a safety seal to protect the product.
- This toothpaste only comes in one flavor, and some cats may not like it.
- The ingredients in this toothpaste can separate over time, so you may need to shake them before using.
- Some users found that this toothpaste was expensive given the amount of product provided.
Oxyfresh Soothing Cat Dental Gel Review
The Oxyfresh Soothing Cat Dental Gel is a highly effective formula for clean kitty teeth. We love how easy it is to apply – you can put it on your cat’s gums with a finger or a toothbrush. This toothpaste will work without any scrubbing, so all you need to do is apply it to see amazing and fast results.
The formula is non-toxic and does not have any flavor additives that could irritate your cat. It breaks down bacteria in your cat’s mouth to prevent gingivitis and other oral health problems. The Oxyfresh Soothing Cat Dental Gel has an amazing formula that’s great for dental health.
- This product is very effective at minimizing bad breath in cats.
- The toothpaste has a thick texture that is easy to apply to your cat’s gums directly.
- In addition to cleaning your cat’s teeth, it contains aloe and chamomile to soothe their gums.
- Although the product is marketed as odorless, some users found that it did have a slight odor.
- As with all cat toothpastes, there are some cats that will be averse to the taste.
- Depending on how sensitive your cat is, you may need a brush to apply this product.
Sentry Petrodex Enzymatic Cat Toothpaste Dental Kit Review
The Sentry Petrodex Enzymatic Cat Toothpaste Dental Kit is an excellent kit that has everything you need to brush your cat’s teeth. It comes with a 2.5 ounce tube of toothpaste, a traditional soft-bristled toothbrush, and a finger toothbrush. The toothpaste uses a highly effective enzymatic formula with hydrogen peroxide to break down bacteria in your cat’s mouth.
The finger toothbrush is very gentle and works well for kittens or fussy cats, while the full size toothbrush can help you get inside the tight nooks and crannies in your cat’s mouth. The Sentry Petrodex Enzymatic Cat Toothpaste Dental Kit has an incredible formula that works well for cats of all ages and is our pick for the best dental kit.
- This toothpaste comes with a full-size brush and a finger brush to help you apply it.
- It has a unique malt flavor that many cats enjoy.
- The enzymatic formula prevents tartar and plaque from building up on your cat’s gums.
- The bristles on the longer brush are a bit stiff for cats’ gums.
- The finger brush is on the larger side and might be too big for some cats’ gums.
- While many cats like the malt flavor, it can be polarizing for some.
Oratene Brushless Cat Toothpaste Gel Review
The Oratene Brushless Cat Toothpaste Gel is a soothing formula that’s very easy to use. It’s ideal for cats that struggle with swollen gums or other forms of irritation. This is because it contains aloe vera, which is naturally soothing and anti-inflammatory.
It also contains enzymes that break down the bacteria that causes gingivitis. This formula has a clear gel texture that you can apply directly to the teeth without brushing, making it great for finicky cats. The Oratene Brushless Cat Toothpaste Gel is the best gentle toothpaste and is great for fussy cats.
- This gel toothpaste is very soothing and helps minimize gum irritation.
- It is designed specifically for cats that have serious oral health conditions and is safe to use on them.
- It is both anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.
- This toothpaste isn’t meat-flavored, so some cats may not like the smell.
- The product can be expensive if you are using it on a regular basis as a preventative measure.
- This toothpaste could be irritating for cats that have particularly sensitive stomachs, so be sure to check with your vet before using.
Things to Know Before Buying a Cat Toothpaste
Just like humans, cats can develop dental issues if their teeth aren’t cleaned regularly. Brushing your cat’s teeth on a regular basis helps to prevent problems like gingivitis and cavities. However, brushing your cat’s teeth can be challenging, as many don’t enjoy having their mouths touched. This means you’ll need a highly effective toothpaste formula that’s easy to use. Here’s what to consider when shopping for a cat toothpaste.
Safe Ingredients to Look For & Ingredients to Avoid
You should always look at the ingredients list when purchasing a toothpaste for your cat. The foaming agents and fluorides that are safe for humans to use can be very dangerous for cats, so you’ll want to avoid those. You should also avoid harsh chemicals or parabens. Silica and calcium carbonate are two safe ingredients to look for that will remove plaque effectively. You’ll want to consider the flavor of the toothpaste as well. Your cat might enjoy brushing a bit more if they are using a formula with an appetizing flavor.
The Importance of an Enzymatic Formula
Many cat toothpaste have an enzymatic formula. This means that they contain enzymes that break down the bacteria that builds up in your pet’s mouth. These formulas are very effective, because they don’t require you to scrub your cat’s teeth. After eating, a layer of bacteria can grow on your cat’s teeth. These enzymes break down that layer and prevent it from turning into tartar, which is much more difficult to remove. Enzymes also work as a good alternative to sulfates and foaming agents, which are too dangerous to use on cats.
It Should Be Easy to Use & Apply
Since cats don’t always enjoy having their teeth cleaned, you’ll want to look for a toothpaste that is easy to apply. Many cat toothpastes do not require you to use a brush, but instead can be applied with a finger. Many enzymatic toothpastes only need to be applied to your cat’s gum line and do not need to be scrubbed. Some toothpastes also come with a finger brush, which is much easier to use on most cats than a traditional toothbrush.
Brushing your cat’s teeth regularly is an important part of their healthcare routine. A good cat toothpaste can make brushing a little easier for both of you. Our pick for the best cat toothpaste is the Virbac CET Enzymatic Cat Toothpaste. It has a tough and effective formula that will keep your cat’s teeth clean. It also comes in tasty beef and poultry flavors and is very easy to use.